11/29/2009

Edison 'Pinky' Fisk 1915-2009

'Pinky' Fisk, a Passionate Protester and 'Gentle Soul,' Passes at 94




Kitsap County lost one of its “characters” last week.

Edison “Pinky” Fisk, who gained local notoriety in the late 1960s in Bremerton as an antiwar protester, died at 94 on Friday the 13th, a notion he would probably find humorous, said his wife, Kay Wilson Fisk.

Those who knew him spoke of his complexity. He had a gruff exterior and the “vocabulary of a longshoreman,” according to Wilson Fisk. He worked as an electrician and had no formal education beyond high school.

On the flip side was a man who played the flute, wrote poetry and, according to his friend Kitsap pianist Dr. Irene Bowling, was in his heart a “marshmallow.”

“It grieved him to the point of tears to see the injustices and cruelties of the world,” Bowling wrote in an e-mail.

Wilson Fisk characterized the contradiction between the impressions he could leave and relationships he made by saying, “He could rub people the wrong way, but he was really a gentle soul.”

By Steven Gardner for The Kitsap Sun - November 20, 2009

Read more:
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/nov/20/pinky-a-passionate-protester-and-gentle-soul-at/

2 comments:

  1. I just ran across this and am very sad to know that my old friend has passed, though, he had a long and rich life.
    I remember many a Thursday afternoon standing in front of the army recruiters office as the shipyard workers came pouring out of the gate.
    I also remember some very deep socio/politcal arguments. I believe he is the first person who really challenged me to be a deep thinker.

    Hats off to one helluva fellow.

    Allen Whitehead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you the Allen Whitehead that was a counselor at O.C. in the 80's? I would love to hear from you and learn how you happened to know Pinky. -- Kww.Fisk at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete