6/14/2009

Bitter Easter

It's kind of the shits to get killed in the spring

      For reasons that seem to be obvious.

The world is just coming to life again

      and I am full of anticipation.

            We could at least wait 'til next winter

                        when the world is starting to die again.

(But I am forgetting the Australians .....
and the Africans ..... and the South Americans.)

They are playing Russian Roulette in South Viet Nam

                        and they are using my head and yours.

If I have to be burned, I would like it to be

                        for something that I stand for.

(Like maybe South Africa ..... Selma ..... or Whiskey Gulch.)

                        -------------------------------------------

When I say "THEY" I am talking about my government

                     by consent of the governed,

But they didn't ask me.

                        -------------------------------------------

                               They won't even listen

                                              But they didn't ask me.

I suppose we must put the torch to the human nest,
      because good will has such narrow horizons.

      The United States has the means, and it looks like
                                              the will.

I am kind of ashamed for my country.



© Edison S. Fisk, 2009. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment